John Muir Trust work party on Tanera
22 October 2013
For the second year running we were delighted to welcome a John Muir Trust work party to the Island for a week in early October. Adverse sea conditions meant a 36 hour delay in getting volunteers to the island but accommodation and suitably engaging activity (in the form of fence removal on JMT's Quinaig estate and some brash removal) was found for all on the mainland.
Once on Tanera the group of 18 set about a range of tasks, many following on from work undertaken on the last work party 12 months previously.
- The first steps in a project to restore one of the Island's former dwellings to provide bothy / bunkhouse accommodation for visiting groups
- Path maintenance and restoration work at various key sites around the Island's path network
- The repair and part replacement of an old fence line to allow for targeted grazing of an area of potentially species rich grassland
- The rebuilding of a section of old drystone dyke in close proximity to the Island's graveyard
- The installation of two gates to complete drystone dyke repairs undertaken by the group in 2012 as part of ongoing targeted grazing programme
We were delighted to achieve such good progress on a number of key areas in a relatively short space of time, and not always in the best of weather conditions! We are extremely grateful once again to Sandy Maxwell and the Trust for running the work party and to the volunteers whose hard work, good company and patience with the weather were all very much appreciated.
- 19/06/2017 New chapter for Tanera
- 31/03/2017 Island Music - live!
- 26/02/2016 Island Music - released today
- 29/10/2015 Tanera 2016 - a special offer for early booking.
- 22/10/2013 John Muir Trust work party on Tanera
- 05/05/2013 Tanera Mor for sale...
- 27/01/2013 Hebridean sheep wintering on Tanera
- 22/11/2012 John Muir Trust work party on Tanera
- 28/09/2012 The future of Tanera
- 11/06/2012 Wildfire sweeps accross Tanera